Vaginal steaming is an age-old natural remedy used to cleanse the vagina and uterus, regulate menstruation, and ease period cramps and bloating. Between menstruation, sexual intercourse, and childbirth, the vagina withstands a lot. When you add changing hormones and pelvic floor issues to the mix, sometimes the vaginal area is anything but comfortable. Following is a suggested method of doing a vaginal steam at home. However, before you try it yourself, you’ll want to consider its supposed benefits and possible safety issues, as discussed below.
1. Add about a cup of your chosen herbs to a basin of hot water.
2. Let the herbs steep for at least a minute.
3. Undress from the waist down.
4. Stand or squat directly over the basin. Some people prefer to place the basin in the toilet and then sit on the toilet.
5. Wrap a towel around your waist and legs to prevent the steam from escaping.
The average steam session lasts between 20 and 60 minutes. Drink plenty of water while steaming.